Monday 21 January 2008

There was a cyclone


African mahogany, victim of the chainsaw gang, and alas, too big for my modest abilities.
Inspecting a paperbark, some of which is now added to my stock.
Darwin, the city in which I live, work and destroy lumps of timber, is in the tropics, and so subject to cyclones - you know, big winds, lots of rain, trees and houses fall down, ships sink.


We had a smallish cyclone a few weeks ago. No houses fell down, no ships sank, but some trees did fail to survive. Fallen trees = wood available for the taking.


So a number of evenings recently have seen me on the roadside, saw in hand, making merry of natures abundance.


I am now rich! I have big mobs of black wattle (delicious), some nameless timber from the verge that might or might not be useful, and tonight I liberated some paperbark from the parklands down the street.


But, as every fisherman knows, the one that got away is the biggest. The photo is of the remains of an African mahogany, felled by a cruel woodsman's chainsaw - just because it was big! I wanted to bring it home, but my teenage son wasn't willing to even try to lift it. What's the modern generation coming too?
It will be some time before I can produce anything from this windfall (nudge, nudge - windfall - get it??), as the wood is so green the sap is literally running out of it. But I'll record some results on this site when they happen.
All the best, vsquared.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grrr... This Teenage son was quite willing to life it, as long as you took your half as well

Missy said...

HAHA HAHA HAHA! WINDFALL! HAHA HAHA ... no.

Anyway. Looks like a lovely day there. Am very jealous of your cycloneness.

THAT generation - shocking! Snow, uphill, both ways, ringing any bells?

Don't forget to post some 'after' shots.