Wednesday 5 March 2008

A new lathe - a new project


The new lathe mentioned in the title is, in reality, a second-hand lathe.

I was about to buy a new lathe, when a used lathe of the same type was offered, including an extension bed, stand, an armful of chisels and gouges, a chuck, and some other goodies.
For good or ill, I bought the used one. So far, so good.
In fact, so far, very good.
You see above my Jet mini-lathe, loaded with a lump of timber, which is already turned down to almost round. It started very lumpy and bumpy, but the little Jet handled it beautifully.
The lump is my latest project. I intend to take photos as I work through it, and at the end, tara-tara - it will be revealed as a..............................?
alternatively, you may note in a few weeks, no further mention of the lump. You may then assume I stuffed it up. Barbecue timber is useful too, you know!
all the best, from vsquared.

1 comment:

Missy said...

It doesn't look mini from the pics.

I can hardly wait to find out what becomes of the lump.