Thursday 19 February 2009

A very small piece of Penola redgum meets its fate


The previous post features a sizeable lump of Penola redgum.
I left most of it in Aldinga, but smuggled a sliver home in my hand luggage. (Photo)
I then cut it in half, and the result is a clock insert, as you can see.
What is interesting from a woodturning point of view is that the timber, which had not been neatly cut but just rough-split, could not, due to the rough and broken surface, be turned down to a nice, neat item.
I turned it to a round, more or less, but retained much of the broken, split, damaged surface.
Whether it is a successful piece I'm not sure. But it is interesting, and I had fun with it.
I have another little piece, which might get a similar treatment. Not sure yet.
The photos aren't terrific, but if you douoble click and enlarge them you'll get a better view of what I've described.
All the best
vsquared.

2 comments:

Missy said...

Hey, I like it. I think the natural look is a good one. What does the chain do?

vsquared said...

The chain is to deter the watch-nappers. - obviously.